Friday, February 15, 2013

SUGAR FREE MARMALADE IN BREAD MACHINE


The  orange marmalade,  sugar-free, was my second experiment with the program - preserves   - of my bread machine. After obtaining a beautiful  orange marmalade  with 30% sugar, I had to know if I could get a good one with a 100% of fruit. And here's the result.

orange marmalade on toast
It seems almost .. a tomato sauce: o

Two hours of work in the machine, did not allow the pulp of oranges to achieve a perfect compact and jelly structure, the one should have a good jam. 
The taste  is sour, slightly bitter but pleasant. The consistency is more like a puree, lackluster, and slightly stringy, so that this sounds like a monstrous thing. Consistency aside, this pseudo-blood orange marmalade, is not that bad, and certainly will not be thrown.  

Tested with rusk in the picture, the sour taste was mitigated by the sweet of the slice. Also tested in natural yogurt, sour on sour did not give nice results. 

But why has not gelled? : O
Most experts know it well: the fruit contains a protein called pectin, which helps the process of  of the jam, so much so that, to save time, many people use to buy a pectin extract in the store and add it to the fruit during cooking. 
Oranges contain pectin especially in the peel, which is precisely the part that I could not use because non-organic oranges. Then this is the secret? Also use the peel?

While reflecting on my experiment, I try it on a slice of whole bread, trying also to remember how was the sugar free marmalade I tasted years ago in a B&B... so fresh and delicious, but a bit acid as mine, perhaps most lucid and firm. And then, who knows, maybe it is normal for a jam without sugar to be like this, not having the look of a classic jelly..

Okay, I get it, enough with the assumptions. Better to ask the more expert cooks. If you pass here and you want to leave your testimony, advice, everything you know on the jam, I'm sure this article will become a collector of interesting information, and perhaps  next time, I'll do it, my perfect orange marmalade, 100% sugar free :)  

P.s: Tomorrow I will try it with a tart cake :P 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments. Thanks!