Monday, January 21, 2013

SEVERIN BM 3990 - MY BREAD MAKER

Hello and welcome! Today I want to tell you about my own bread machine: The Severin BM 3990 model.
I bought it on Amazon for 64,00 euro, a good price, considering what it can do.  
The brand is German, a leading manufacturer of this type of bread makers. 

Severin with one of my first experiments


The expenditure are really low: Half kilowatts for a standard program lasting three hours, including an hour for cooking. If we think that a traditional oven consumes four times as much, then it is easy to see why the bread machine is becoming so popular in our kitchens.  
In my personal case, the energy saving / economic aspect, strongly influenced the decision to purchase this amazing bread maker. 

I must confess  I had always been very skeptical. The bread maker, to me, meant only one thing: making a very soft bread which was just a pan-carrè good for sandwiches.  
How wrong I was. Luckily I had the patience to search the Web. I documented, I read tips, recipes, seen photos of breads and various experiments. I have found that, with some techniques, such as the poolish, or my piercing and Overturning method, you can obtain  even  loaves of homemade. And that does not complicate things at all. So I decided, and I bought it. Never purchase was more appropriate.  
Within a couple of months account to amortize the cost of the machine producing bread for me and my family, on an ongoing basis.  
Not to mention the possibility of making cakes, pan-brioche, pizza dough and , unbelievable, even fruit jams! 

Structurally, the bread machine is constituted by a main body, a not detachable lid equipped with a transparent porthole for monitoring the preparation, a removable basket made in aluminum, covered with a non-stick coating; a removable blade for kneading, also non-stick.


the basket


the paddle mixer



Technique Tip: To remove the kneading paddle effortlessly in case you were stuck (it can happen even oiling the pin before use), simply remove the basket from the machine, with one hand hold mixer blade by lightly pulling it toward you, and with the other hand just rotate a few millimeters back and forth, the outer screw which is located at the point where the basket is grafted to the bread machine.  

The device has no lights but only a liquid crystal monitor. This further reduces energy consumption, which I like very much. A sound system, very powerful, tells us when the bread is ready to be baked.  
The machine will beep after the first kneading, to warn us that if we want to, and only then, we can add other ingredients such as olives, nuts, seeds and onions. You can put whatever you like to flavor your bread. 
Buttons are few and essential. Even my mother, who has always demonstrated a kind of brain repulsion towards technology, in front of my severin said: "But the commands are only these?" 
There is a start button to run the selected program a button to select the program, one to decide the type of browning between light, medium and dark, two buttons are for the timer + and -, and a final button is used to select the size of our bread: 750g or 900g. 
Severin BM 3990 makes it possible to produce a loaf of 900g at most.


SEVERIN BM 3990

  • Consume: 600W
  • Voltage: 230V, 50 Hz
  • Weight: 6.5 kg
  • Color: White
  • Dimensions in cm: 41 x 27 x 30.5 
  • Capacity: up to 550g of flour 900g of bread
  • Programs: 12
  • Included Accessories: Measuring cup, graduated container, extractor dough hook .

ADVICE

I highly recommend not to follow the recipes found in the instruction booklet because they are just badly done or even wrong. Try online and in the forum if you have any doubts.  

In the booklet you will find directions about how to make fruit jams. No complaints, if not for the fact that, instead of sugar, these Germans speak about a certain jelly sugar. Take into account that you can use a normal white sugar.  

Due to copyright I cannot publish the book. 
If you need the recipe of the bread maker severin bm 3990 or more information, please send me an email request. The address can be found on the contact page. 

I hope that this brief review may have given you some useful information. 
Whether you need clarification you can contact me via email, facebook or twitter. 
Their respective links are located in the menu bar, just below the title of the blog. 

Goodbye and see you soon!

5 comments:

  1. Dear Madam
    Thank you for the helpful comments. I am considering this purchase and was delighted to see a review, because I live in India and was apprehensive about after sales, after warranty support, and so I started searching for online reviews and found yours.
    Can you please let me know how long you've been using this? and do you have local post warranty support (after 1 year)?
    Secondly, is the regular loaf the only possible shape that we can bake bread in, or is long bread and rolls also a possibility?

    Please let me know. Appreciate your response, thanks in advance!

    Lakshmi (Bangalore, India)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dear, thanks for writing and for your consideration. To answer your firt quastion: I bought my Severin in may 2012, and never found troubles wuth that. I don't have warranty any more but in Italy there are some assistance point where to buy some parts as basket or paddle.
      Second question: the loaf. Of course loaf is the only shape you can obtain from a machine like this, but you can also decide to use the breadmaker only for making the loaf and then cooking it in the traditional oven. To be honest I know there are some bread machine with a particular basket in which you can cook baguettes but I've never tried one. I'm thinking about buying a new machine in the next future with this kind of possibility but still not making my research. I will probably post an article about this when I'm going to change my bread machine.
      Have a good day Lakshmi!
      Ciao :)

      Delete
  2. Techroxy@gmail.comMay 4, 2014 at 4:50 AM

    hi Silvia, Thanks for the tips. I just bought mine and had a disastrous first bake. please please send me your recipe for any basic bread. I am looking to make whole grain but have to just do white first. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you send ur email id?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your post! No wonder I was never able to make any bread successfully from the recipe book!

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate your comments. Thanks!